Now that summer heat is just around the corner (it is coming!!), here are a few tips from Perry’s on how to make your favorite flavor stay delicious from the first spoonful down to the last scoop!
First, let’s talk about why thawing and refreezing may leave you feeling cold (puns free of charge) about your favorite ice cream.
Our products are so creamy and light because of the air that is whipped into the mixture when making the ice cream and frozen yogurt. Without this added air, your ice cream wouldn’t be creamy at all, it would resemble more a flavored block of ice. When your ice cream thaws and then refreezes, some of this air escapes. Unfortunately, when you stick the carton back in your freezer, the air doesn’t get replaced. This can end up resulting in a gritty or icy texture.
Now on to the fun part: treating your ice cream the right way!
- It all begins at the store! After spotting the flavor you crave, pick up the carton and give it a gentle squeeze. If it feels soft or melty, leave it there (you can even alert the frozen foods manager if you’d like!). A squishy container means some of the air in the ice cream has escaped, and the texture and even the flavor of the ice cream may have been altered.
- Try to make your grocery store trip your last stop before heading home. Ice cream hates long, hot car rides almost as much as we do.
- How’s your home freezer doing? For your best ice cream experience, the temperature should be set between –5 and 0°F (or –21 and -28°C.)
- To get them at their tastiest, try to finish up your frozen desserts within 3-4 weeks (I don’t know about you, but mine never lasts that long!).
- Be sure to close your carton up tight and return it to your freezer as soon as possible after scooping!
With a few simple tips, you can enjoy your favorite Perry’s ice cream or frozen yogurt all summer long! Now feel free to crack open a carton, kick up your feet and enjoy the sun! (Right after you put away the carton, that is!)