Thinking Sustainably Since 1918
If you like to read more about sustainability at Perry's Ice Cream, download our 2012 Annual Sustainability Report.
Our family continues the tradition of making the same high-quality ice cream that our founder H. Morton Perry crafted nearly a century ago.
Get to know the Perry Family
Four Generations, One Passion—The Perry’s Difference
The Perry family has been making great ice cream for so long it’s part of our DNA. We still make it one batch at a time, slow cooking for an exceptionally creamy texture and distinctive taste that are unmatched by today’s popular “flash-cooking” method.
Want to know more?
The “Good Stuff” Philosophy
We recognize the importance and impact our products have on our families, our communities, and our planet. We adhere to our founder’s philosophy of “making sure we put enough of the good stuff in our products” by: read more
- Sourcing over 90% of our farm-fresh milk and cream from dairies within 60 miles of Akron, NY
- Using only the finest ingredients from local suppliers and vendors (when possible)
- Putting no High-Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) in our ice cream mix
- Using only natural flavors and stabilizers
- Offering “better for you” product selections in our Light, No Sugar Added Light, Frozen Yogurt, Novelty, All Natural Gelato, and Premium lines
Our Ice Cream Team
We know a good idea can come from anyone committed to our principles, so we empower all our Team Members, customers, partners, and suppliers to contribute. We invest substantial resources to servicing and developing every link in the Perry’s chain, resulting in a world-class operation with a hometown feel.
Thinking Outside the Carton
Our entrepreneurial, innovative, “Why Not?” approach fuels sustainability efforts at Perry’s. In 2012 we’re implementing a recognition program that encourages team members to “think outside the carton” to develop innovative, practical solutions—not just good P.R., but good for the planet and good for business.
A System of Excellence
We’re committed to providing our customers with products and services that exceed their expectations—the first time and every time. read more
- Safe food products are always our number one priority.
- Each Team Member’s goal is to deliver extraordinary products and services to the Perry’s organization, our partners who sell our ice cream and to our fans who enjoy it.
- Our service is reliable, consistent, on time, and trustworthy.
This is more than just talk; we have rigorous systems in place to make sure we deliver:
- A Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) based Quality Management System
- Safe Quality Foods (SQF) Management System (level 2 certified) with dedicated resources to support its development, implementation, maintenance, and ongoing improvement
- A complaint-management process which compiles issues raised by customers and regulatory agencies, investigates their cause, and delivers resolution
- Extensive training for all Team Members from Operations to Warehouse.
We continually seek packaging suppliers who share a common commitment to sustainability. Currently, 100% of Perry’s Novelty Boxes can be recycled.
Sustainable Team Members
We think “sustainability” applies to our Team Members, and we’re dedicated to creating a work environment that sustains their growth and well being. read more
- Wellness column featured in the monthly newsletter outlines a different topic each month, from stress management to the best local walking paths.
- Safety & Wellness Fair invites Team Members to experience or learn about a variety of wellness services, including blood pressure and cholesterol screenings, smoking cessation programs, and other services offered by our Employee Assistance Plan.
- Perry’s offers various wellness programs, including yearly on-site flu shots, Wegmans “Eat Well, Live Well,” plus walking programs like “America on the Move.”
Not only does Perry’s promote wellness at work, but we also actively support and encourage Team Members to participate in wellness activities in their local communities. Team Members routinely champion events close to their heart and receive generous support from colleagues. Throughout the years, some of these local events have included:
- American Heart Walk
- Ride for Roswell
- Juvenile Diabetes Foundation
Want to join our Team? Visit our Career Center for current openings.
From the Perry’s family to your family, our social mission is to serve our communities by working to provide programs that sweeten the quality of life.
What that means to us: read more
- Supporting our local charities through programs such as Perry’s Community Returns. Each quarter team members select a non-profit charity to receive our Jeans Day and Bottle Return funds.
- Donating to our Team Members’ charities of choice.
- Partnering with key organizations vital to our community.
- Ensuring our consumers receive high-quality and safe products.
- Offering wholesome product lines like All Natural, No Sugar Added, Light, Fat Free, and “A Better Choice for You” (ABC) school novelties that meet or exceed NYS “Choose Sensibly” guidelines
Waste Not, Want Not
Our waste-not-want-not philosophy in reducing our waste to landfill is good for the planet and good for Perry’s. Our responsible business practices help maintain Earth’s delicate balances, so that future generations will enjoy her as much as we do. read more
Less water and natural gas: In 2011, efficient scheduling reduced water usage 10% and natural gas usage 7% vs. the year before.
Less electricity: By implementing a system that allowed us to more easily see where we were using our electricity, we were able to reduce consumption by 7% in 2011. Shocking that it was that simple!
Less Solid Waste: Year over year we have reduced solid waste to landfill by 29%.
Long-term, we plan to reduce upstream waste by challenging our partners to deliver packaging and materials that are lighter but stronger.
More Recycling: Though we’ve been recycling various components of our waste for years, we surprised ourselves by how much more we could do to keep materials out of landfills. In 2011, we expanded our recycling efforts and more than doubled our collection rates for mixed paper, plastics, and cardboard. As a result, our recycling revenues covered 99% of our solid waste disposal costs.
More Re-use: We love to shop for gently used or surplus office supplies before purchasing new.
More Happy Returns: Team Members select a different charity each quarter to receive funds generated by our “Community Returns” program, which collects cans and bottles throughout the company for recycling.
Recipe for Success
It isn’t luck that has sustained Perry’s for over 90 years. Our culture of doing the right things for people, planet, and Perry’s is as essential to our product as fresh cream and fruit. read more
Tastes go in and out of fashion, but without our tradition of care, innovation, and service our recipe for success could not have withstood the test of time. We continuously improve our business practices to ensure that we live up to H. Morton Perry’s mantra: “Make sure you put in enough of the good stuff.”
Our Sustainable Thinkers Are Stars!
At Perry’s, Team Members think sustainably every day and this leads to spectacular outcomes. All sustainable thinkers get a star treatment!
If you like to read more about sustainability at Perry's Ice Cream, download our 2011 Annual Sustainability Report.